Follow:

To veil or not to veil?

Choosing whether or not to wear a veil can be a huge decision for many a bride. I’m sure we all know one person who says the truly felt like a bride when they tried a veil on for the first time, but does this mean you should have one? Around 65% of brides opt for a veil, which leaves a huge 35% that don’t, so is a veil for you?

The origins date back to Roman times, when the bride wore a veil to ward off evil spirits. In many religions, wearing a veil is also a sign of humility and respect in a religious ceremony before God. It is often seen as a symbol of purity. During Victorian times, the length, weight and quality were a sign of status. For most people today, it’s the finishing touch to the brides attire. Some brides choose not to wear a veil because of the tradition behind it, but it really all depends on personal choice.

If you are thinking about wearing a veil, there are so many different options available, so choose wisely for something that will complement your dress, theme and venue. A grand cathedral length veil, a la Kate Middleton, may not be suitable if you are in a registry office or smaller venue. That said, if you have been dreaming of a long veil your whole life, then just go for it!

Birdcage Veil

A birdcage veil has just a tiny piece of material, covering (or part covering) your face. It is increasingly popular, and is ideal for the vintage bride as it was most popular during the 1940s and 1950s.

Birdcage Veil

Shoulder Length

As it sounds really, a shoulder length veil will just reach your shoulders. More traditional than a birdcage veil, but still short enough to not get in the way. If you want to show off the back of your dress, a short, or more sheer veil is ideal.

Then you get elbow, mid, fingertip, and floor length, all gradually getting longer. It’s worth trying on a few different lengths to see what goes best with your dress.

Chapel Length

A chapel length veil goes all the way to the floor, with a small train behind you. This may be ideal for you if you have always dreamed of that super long veil, this is slightly more practical that the cathedral length.

Cathedral Length

Think Kate Middleton for the Cathedral length veil. Absolutely stunning, although consider carefully if your venue isn’t quite on the scale of Westminster Abbey, as you really need to space and grandeur to be able to show of this kind of veil.

It’s not only the length to decide on, there is also the fabric. Opt for something light and sheer if you want delicate and to be able to see the back of your dress. Do you want a raw edge or ribbon trim, embellishments, lace? With so may choices, the best thing to do is try on a variety of different styles with your dress. You may completely change your mind when you see it all on together!

Have you decided if you are going to wear a veil yet? If so, what helped you to decide?

 

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

No Comments

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: